Prep Time: 15-20 minutes
Cook Time: 45-50 minutes
- 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed
- 3 tablespoons hot water
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ cup dairy-free margarine
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup vegan sour cream
- 1 to 2 tablespoons vanilla soy milk (can be substituted for vanilla almond milk if needed)
- ¼ cup flour
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ vegan margarine
- ¼ cup cranberries
- ¼ cup sliced almonds
- Preheat your oven to 350ºF. In the meantime, spray a 10-inch tube pan or a 9-inch square baking pan with cooking spray
- In a mixer, combine the water and flax seed. Blend until thoroughly combined.
- In a separate bowl, combine the margarine and sugar, use a mixer to combine until you get a fluffy mix. Add the flax mixture and the vanilla and continue to combine.
- In a medium bowl, add the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Mix well. Add half of the dry ingredients to the sugar mixture and mix until combined. Add the sour cream and remaining dry ingredients. Mix well. The mixture should be thick but easy to pour. If it's too thick, add in an extra 1 to 2 tablespoons of soy milk
- Spoon out about 2/3 of the batter into the sprayed pan and spread until the bottom is coated evenly across. Sprinkle with half of the the topping Spoon the remaining batter on top and spread evenly across, sprinkle with the remaining topping.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes, or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Let the cake cool in the pan on a wire rack.
- In a medium bowl, combine the brown sugar, flour, cinnamon, cranberries, almonds and salt.
- Add the margarine, and mix together until it reaches a crumbled consistency. Once finished, it'll be used as both a filling to the cake, as well as the topping. If preferred, add in extra ingredients until you get the amount of topping desired.
Photo provided by Wikimedia Creative Commons