Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
One thing I miss about growing up with home cooked meals is burritos. Not that I'd go back, but I took it upon myself to refine the burrito into a delicious vegan reminder of those Saturdays Mom spent over the frying pan!
Here's what you need:
- 2 tablespoons of chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon of minced garlic
- 1/3rd of a bell pepper, green, diced well
- 1 tablespoon of your favourite cooking oil--in my case, canola!
- 1 tablespoon of cumin, or substituted for another spice!
- 1 hot chile pepper, minced
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 8-10 burrito wraps, depending on how big of portions you want!
- 1 1/2 cups of non-dairy cheese
- Enough salsa for your family!
- A handful of lettuce
- 4 cups of precooked pinto beans.
How to prepare:
- Mix the dry spices together off to the side.
- Heat the oil in the frying pan over medium heat.
- Add the garlic and onion and heat until the onion is nicely browned.
- Add the pinto beans followed by the last ingredients.
- Mash up your beans in the pan!
- Cook for about five minutes.
This is the part where the smells start radiating around the kitchen and the kids come in, nose first, asking what's for dinner--and then of course, how long it'll be! Feel free to tell them it's almost ready, and to go wash their hands because you don't want to get grubby fingers all over your burrito wrap!
How to finish:
- Spoon your desired portion of beans onto each burrito wrap.
- Garnish it with your lettuce!
- Add your salsa!
- Fold up the sides or let the kids do it themselves.
I hope you'll enjoy these vegan burritos as much as I do. Of course, each recipe is suited to your own taste--feel free to mix and match up, to see what you like the most... and what might remind you of those spicy weekends at home.
Photo by Candace Nast.