Prep Time: 20 - 25 minutes
Cook Time: 10 - 15 minutes
As the importance of maintaining a healthy diet and lifestyle accompanied with regular exercise is on the rise, many of us can confidently say that we are on the right path to attaining emotional stability. Starting with the most essential element, which is one’s diet, a person has already won half the battle. I believe it constitutes more than 60% of the necessary effort!
Even if you've never had a vegan taco, you can probably imagine it's amazing and infinite possible contents. And who says that taco night can only be celebrated on a Tuesday? Today, let’s celebrate the meatless alter-ego of the taco world with this simple recipe for vegetarians and/or vegans. These tasty tacos are sure to satisfy even the pickiest carnivore in your household. The trick to making “meaty” meatless tacos, is to pick filling ingredients that are deep and rich in flavor, not to mention filling. Making your own homemade tacos doesn't have to be complicated at all. People who love Mexican food can’t resist delicious meat-filled tacos. On the other hand vegetarian tacos can seem to be not that exciting. But that doesn’t necessarily need to be the case! There are a lot of vegan ingredients that can make your tacos just as appetizing. In fact, they would become much healthier and easier to digest! Ingredients such as black beans, potatoes, avocados, and mushroom can help one spice up their vegan tacos! You can easily develop the knack of mixing up the right flavors to tantalize one’s senses. Experiment until you understand what flavors suit you best, and have fun.
Lets get started with this simple taco recipe that will lighten up your day!
Honey-Lemon Sweet Potato, Corn & Black Bean Tacos:
Who says you have to include meat in your meal to make great dinner? You can create an absolutely mouth-watering taco filling by roasting sweet potatoes with coriander, cumin, and paprika. You can mix them up together with black beans, corn, lemon and honey. This sweet and spicy taco can make your day!
- Sweet potato
- Black beans
- Honey or Agave for the vegan version
- You can either use a pan or oven to roast the sweet potatoes. If you choose to use an oven, then preheat it to approximately 425 degrees. You could line a baking tray with foil and then place the sweet potatoes on top of it.
- Drizzle the sweet potatoes with 3 tbsp. of olive oil, and then evenly dust them with cumin, paprika, coriander and pepper.
- Lightly season with sea salt to taste, after which you can set them in the oven for baking for approximately 15- 20 minutes. Turn them with a fork whilst they are half way done cooking.
- In the meantime heat some more olive oil.
- Reduce the heat; add in drained black beans, corn, honey or agave and lemon juice.
- Once the mixture is totally soaked with the juices oozing out, you can turnoff the heat and add in the roasted sweet potatoes and cilantro.
- Serve the mixture with warm tortillas and you could have some healthy fruit juice to go along with it!
- Enjoy your recipe with these few key ingredients. You’re all set for a festive party for friends and family!
*Image courtesy Flickr creative commons.