Sometimes I get really bored with the same old sandwiches, so I was delighted to find this recipe, for new inspiration (I have “veganised” it).These tasty and decorative sandwiches take no more than about 30 minutes in preparation time and are very easy. The creamy, piquant fillings blend well with the sourness of the rye bread, and they are great to serve as party food, for a picnic, or simply as a snack. Impress your friends with these!
Ingredients (Serves 4)
1 bunch of basil leaves
2½ cups/600 g vegan cream cheese, divided
Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1 red bell pepper, diced
1 good pinch chilli powder
1 tbsp tomato relish
1 tbsp ketchup
2 tbsp finely-chopped horseradish
16 slices pumpernickel (rye bread)
1) Pureé the basil leaves in a blender. Mix with 1 cup/200g of the vegan cream cheese and season with salt and pepper. Refrigerate.
2) Mix about ¾ cup/150 g of the cream cheese with the diced bell pepper, chilli powder, relish and ketchup, and season with the salt and pepper.
3) Mix the remaining cream cheese with the horseradish and season with salt and pepper.
4) Spread 4 slices of the pumpernickel with each of the spreads and place one on top of the other.
5) Top with the last 4 slices, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate
6) When well chilled, cut into squares and arrange on a serving platter.
Image courtesy of www.stockfood.co.uk