The New Year is an ideal time for starting a diet and detoxification regime. As I am sure all here will agree, we vegans are likely to be more healthy than omnivores on the whole in any case. One of the reasons for this is that the top ten detoxifying foods that I have discovered are all vegan! So check out this list for the main foods to include in your diet this year if you are aiming to detox:
1) Beetroots (beets): These vegetables are packed with vitamins B3, B6, beta-carotene, and vitamin C. They are also full of iron, magnesium, calcium, and zinc, which all help to promote effective detoxification and elimination. Beets are very beneficial for your liver and gall-bladder, the very organs which are all-important in breaking down and removing toxins. Additionally the large amount of fibre in beetroots helps digestion and the elimination of waste from the body.
2) Dandelions: These plants are considered to be real nutritional powerhouses, full of essential nutrients, such as minerals. They are superior anti-oxidants which support the liver and help to effectively cleanse the digestive tract, besides banishing bloating and water retention. A good way to eat them is to add dandelion leaves to your salad.
3) Sea Vegetables: Also known as seaweed, these amazingly nutritious plants contain powerful anti-oxidants which alkalize the blood and strengthen the digestive tract. They do this by absorbing toxins from the tract in very much the same way as a water softener removes the hardness from tap water!
4) Broccoli Sprouts: Broccoli is part of the brassica family of vegetables, which are all real nutritional power stores. When the phytochemicals that they contain are chopped, chewed, digested or fermented they break down into sulphorophanes, which have a notable effect on detoxification. The sprouts have even more benefit than the grown broccoli as they contain about 20 times more of these sulporophanes.
5) Flax-seed: One of the major superfoods, they serve a lot of purposes and are frequently used by vegans as an egg substitute in baking, as they have a strong binding effect. Ground flax-seeds provide an extremely valuable source of fibre, which helps flush toxins from the digestive tract, and ease constipation. They also provide Omega-3 essential fatty acids, which vegans can sometimes lack in their diets.
6) Garlic: Essential to any detox regime, as it is powerfully antiseptic, anti-viral and anti-fungal. Since garlic helps to rid your body of these pathogenic microbes, it can then reduce the toxins that your own body creates. This is due to the vital sulphuric compounds in garlic.
7) Lemon: This delicious fruit stimulates enzyme release in the body and helps to convert toxins into a water-soluble form that can be easily excreted. Although lemon is acidic it actually has an alkaline effect on the body. A great detox drink is a glass of lemon water first thing in the morning with a couple of teaspoons of flax-seeds added to it.
8) Artichoke: These vegetables have been proved to increase the production of bile and purify and protect the liver. In addition they a have a mild diuretic effect on the kidneys, which ensures that toxins will be removed effectively once they have been broken down by the liver.
9) Apple: The old saying about “An apple a day,” is still very relevant, owing to the fact that apples are wonderfully nutritious, with fiber, vitamins, minerals, and a lot of beneficial phytonutrients, which are used in the detox process. One of the flavonoids (phytochemicals) in apples, phlorizin, is believed to help with bile production, which helps the cleansing process, as the liver excretes some of the toxins in bile. Apples are also high in the soluble fiber pectin, which can help cleanse food additives and metals from your body.
You can eat all of these foods regularly for a safe and effective gentle detox.
I hope you liked this blog and your votes and comments are much appreciated.