Prep Time: 10 mins
Cook Time: 25 mins
Being vegan, it is quite tough for me to find the right foods, especially when I am traveling. The situation becomes more difficult if I have to travel to places that are quite famous for their meat based recipes. However, last month, I was in India and I picked up this recipe which is not spicy, rather a delectable blend of Indian and Italian ingredients. Its aroma and flavor is something that will linger on your taste buds for quite some time. It happened to me and my husband, and we both wanted to learn the recipe so that we can have it back in our home whenever we wanted to.
What caught my attention more was the preparation time required for this recipe. The chef said it’s quick, tasty, and easy to make. After learning about the recipe, we both felt the same. So, after I got back from the trip, I tried it on my own and the result was exactly as the chef assured. From that moment on, I thought of sharing this wonderful recipe with every fellow vegan. Happy eating!
Ingredients (Serves 4):
Tofu, 400 gms
Tomato, 2-3 medium size blended / pureed
Potato, 2 medium size chopped into cubes
Cumin seeds, 1 teaspoon
Green chilies, 1-2
Ginger paste, 1-2 tablespoon
Turmeric Powder, 1 teaspoon
Paprika powder, 1 tablespoon
Coriander seeds, 1-2 tablespoon
Tomato Sauce, 1 tablespoon
Mixed herbs / Oregano, 1-2 tablespoon
Coriander Leaves, to garnish
Salt to taste
Sugar, 1 tablespoon
1. Heat the oil in a medium-sized saucepan and fry the potato cubes. Once the potato turns brown, keep the potatoes aside.
2. Cut the tofu in small cubes and set aside.
3. Heat the oil in a medium-sized saucepan and add the cumin seeds to it. When the cumin seeds start bursting, add the green chilies, and the ginger paste. Mix well.
4. Then add the tomato puree to the mix and stir well. Allow it to cook for 2-3 minutes and then add the turmeric powder and paprika powder. Allow it to cook for 1 min again and then add the coriander seeds, salt, and sugar. Mix well.
5. Add the fried potatoes to the mix and allow to cook for 5-7 mins with closed lid on low flame.
6. Check the mix and if the potatoes are soft, add the tofu. Mix well. Close the lid and allow it to cook for 2-3 mins on low flame again.
7. Add the tomato sauce and mixed herbs or oregano. Mix well. Add the coriander leaves on top for garnishing and serve hot with some vegan bread.
Try it and if you like it don’t forget to leave a comment below. I will be happy to know if this recipe found its way to your heart as well, like it did for me. Even if you want to add anything else, please suggest.