With Thanksgiving on the way, I thought I would share a family favorite, pumpkin pie! This recipe is easy and gives the pie a nice nutty flavor. For the crust you will need:
- 2 Cups organic whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 Tablespoon turbinado sugar (like brown sugar)
- 1 Cup pecan pieces
- 1 Cup organic spread
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
Preheat oven to 425.
- Combine all ingredients into a food processor and blend until you get a dough ball.
- Press evenly into 9" pie pan.
- Take a fork and poke holes in the bottom of your crust. Place aluminum foil over the pan and weight it down with rice to prevent the crust from rising in the oven.
- Bake for about 8-10 minutes until slightly brown.
- Remove from oven and turn down temperature to 350.
Now we can fill the crust with pumpkin!
Blend all of the filling ingredients on high in a processor, you will need:
- 1/4 cup organic corn starch
- 2 cans organic pumpkin or fresh
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 3/4 Turbinado sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 teaspoons salt
- After processing until smooth, pour into your waiting, pre-cooked pie crust.
- Bake for about an hour, keep checking on it, and I would recommend covering the crust edges with tin foil so they don't burn or get too brown.
- Top with any kind of topping you like, or just enjoy as is!