Prep Time: 10 mins
Cook Time: 5 mins
Its summer in the South and summertime down here means BBQ parties. Lots and lots of BBQ parties. Being a social person, I never turn down an invitation to a backyard gathering, but being vegan can make it seem like I have limited options when deciding on a dish to bring. I want everyone to like what I have to share and still be able to eat it myself.
So I don't let being vegan keep me from attending potluck gatherings with family and friends!
Admittedly yes, sometimes it is tough to come up with something that everyone will enjoy. Especially since people hear the word “vegan” to describe a dish, and instantly decide they won't like it. But I have a trick for those people! My trick is to come up with a tasty distraction and not tell anyone what I brought is vegan. Normally, if you don't advertise it, no one even notices! Bean salads are great options to fool people with, because they are so filling and tasty. The creative part of this particular bean salad is that I add a little Indian flair with a tahini-based curry dressing. It only takes a little inspiration to make a dish that will please a crowd.
For the dressing:
- ¼ cup tahini
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons water
- Juice of half a lemon
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- black pepper to taste
For the salad:
- 2 15-ounce cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 3 cups of kale, shredded
- ½ cucumber, sliced
- 1/2 cup green onions, chopped
- 1 yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 1 cubed apple
- 1/2 cup grapes
- 1/2 cup hazelnuts, chopped
- Boil and blanch the kale. You want it to be just wilted and still a bright green.
- Whisk together all dressing ingredients in a small bowl.
- Place the remaining salad ingredients in a large bowl and add the spinach.
- Pour the dressing and toss to everything to combine.