This recipe is the perfect combination of healthy and tasty, and it's simple to boot! The total prep time is under 20 minutes.
- 1 package of tofu or tempeh
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 2 cups of vegetables (broccoli and green beans work well)
1. If using tempeh, cut the blocks into strips and steam them for 10 minutes. Do not skip this step! It seems unimportant, but it makes the tempeh more tender. If using tofu, cut into squares.
2. Mix maple syrup and soy sauce in a small bowl and set aside.
2. Heat olive oil in a pan, and place tempeh/tofu carefully in the hot oil. Leave on low-medium heat, and cook until both sides are crispy (approximately 5 minutes).
3. Pour the maple syrup and soy sauce mixture into the pan, making sure that all of the pieces of tempeh/tofu are saturated. Continue to cook until a glaze forms.
4. Cook vegetable of choice, and pour remaining sauce mixture over the top.
Hope you enjoy!
*Image courtesy Flickr creative commons.