Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 20 - 25 minutes
Scones are a great treat for any kind of weather, but lemon adds a taste that's perfect for summer. This recipe needs only a few ingredients, and can be easily modified for all types of flavors.
Like all scones, these also go well served with tea or coffee.
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1 cup and 1 tablespoon soy or almond milk [for an added coconut taste, substitute for coconut milk]
- 1/3 cup brown sugar [most types of sugar can be used]
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 1/2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup berries
- Coconut shavings
- Preheat your oven to 430 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Combine ingredients into a large bowl. Mix the flour, sugar, and any additional ingredients together.
- Add the soy milk into the bowl. Continue to mix until just combined, be careful not to over mix!
- Place the ingredient mix onto a pre-floured surface. Gently fold until the dough isn't sticky, and has a generally even texture.
- If needed, add extra flour and continue to fold. However, be careful no to over do this step, this will make the dough too tough.
- Place the dough onto a sheet of parchment paper. Shape it into a circle [approximately 9-10 inches in diameter].
- Using a knife, cut through the dough from end to end. Repeat this step four times, this should leave you with 8 separate slices.
- Brush the dough with the additional tablespoon of soy or almond milk. Sprinkle on a pinch of additional sugar. Additional lemon zest or coconut shavings can also be used.
- Bake the scones for 20 - 25 minutes on the top rack of your oven. When ready, insert a toothpick into the center of one of the scones. If it comes out clean, they're finished.
- Serve your scones warm with jam, jelly or your favorite spread.
Photo provided by Wikimedia Creative Commons