Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 8-10 minutes
Strawberries are easily my favorite part of summer. The season is not complete until I have made my trip to the closest farm and picked baskets and baskets of ripe little berries fresh from the fields. Of course about half as many berries end up in my mouth as they do the basket!
As delicious as these little berries are fresh, I love using them in baking. Their sweet and bright flavor adds a special touch to any bread or dessert. My recipe for strawberry donuts is a perfect way to use fresh berries without falling into an sugar overload trap. I use chickpeas for protein and sweeten the dough naturally with just a touch of raw sugar so the natural strawberry sweetness can really be enjoyed. The donuts are a great treat to bring to a Sunday brunch with friends, or a enjoy lazy morning all for yourself. No one will judge if you have more than one!
I also put a simple vanilla glaze on these donuts. You could get the kids involved by having them decorate the donuts with fresh chopped fruit, dried fruit, vegan chocolate chips, or other vegan treats.
- 1 cup chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup unsweet almond milk
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2/3 cup finely chopped strawberries
- 1/3 cup raw sugar
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- For the glaze:
- 1/3 cup powder sugar, sifted
- 3-4 tbsp unsweet almond milk
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- *Optional dried strawberries
- Place sugar in a food processor and pulse until you have fine powder.
- Now add the chickpeas, almond milk, vanilla, apple cider vinegar, salt, and baking and soda powders and blend until smooth. The batter will be thick but without lumps.
- Slowly fold the flour into the batter and then gently add the strawberries. Now the batter will be thicker, but fairly uniform through out.
- Now grease a donut pan. (I use some coconut oil on a paper towel, but any spray will work too) and bake in an oven at 350 for 8-10 minutes.
For the Frosting:
- Add sifted powdered sugar to 3-4 tbsp unsweet almond mild (or any vegan milk) in a bowl. Stir until dissolved. Now drizzle over cooled donuts!
*If you do not have a donut pan, have no fear! Just make donut holes! Simply roll the dough into balls of similar size and bake for 6 minutes, rotating them every 2-3 minutes. You can also pan fry them in coconut oil.