Since Monday, my sister and I began our "Amazing Gallbladder & Liver Flush". Limited to only three meals a day, no snacking and a strict vegan diet (which was no problem for me, being vegan already for almost two months!). Coming up with the evening meals have actually been a BLAST! I love cooking up new things, and with the requirements being so precise (no fried foods of any sort) my dishes had to be as clean and healthy as possible.
With a taco salad and a tomato soup already under my belt, I was excited to continue with the meal plan. Wednesday night dinner consisted on White Basmati Rice, Broccoli, Cauliflower and Mini Golden Potatoes.
I think my favorite part of all this is how easy and quick each dinner is. As much as I love to cook, on weeknights I just want to get food on the table at a decent time, giving everyone plenty of time to digest food properly. I have learned that it is important to not drink any sort of liquids at least 30 minutes before AND after eating (you dont wan't to disturb your body's natural bile which is important for proper digestion). The cleanse/flush I am doing was established by Andreas Moritz, who believes in Veganism as the most proper way of eating for an overall healthy diet.
Vegan foods always make me excited, knowing that everything I am making and eating is full of nutrients that my body deserves. I believe most new Vegans can relate when I say that I never thought I could leave cheese behind, but here I am, going into my third month and feeling better than ever! (cheese, who?)
So here is my easy, delicious and extremely healthy meal that will keep you and your fellow vegan friends & family happy and satisfied!
*Photo courtesy Flickr creative commons.
What you need:
-1.5 cups of White Basmati Rice
-1 or 2 cloves garlic
-about a 1/2 pound of Mini Golden Potaotes (usually they come in a net bag)
-salt and pepper
To make the rice: I would like to add that Basmati Rice is pretty much the most amazing rice I have ever dealt with. It is seriously done in about 10 minutes, and the taste is phenomenal!
- Chop up some garlic and let it sit for about 10 minutes (I read once that when you cut garlic, or even onions and scallions, its good to let them sit before cooking. Once the garlic is cut it begind to release allicin diallyl sulphides, by cooking it right away you disturb the cell activity and you may just end up killing all the health benefits.)
- In a medium size pot pour a bit of canola oil and let it heat up.
- Add your garlic and cook it for a couple of minutes.
- Add your 1.5 cups rice and cook together with the garlic and oil for another couple of minutes.
- Then add two cups of water and set heat on Med/High.
- Once the water comes to a boil, let it boil for a few minutes, then bring the heat down to Med/Low.
- Once you can't really see the water anymore, uncover the pot and let the steam out (make sure your rice grains aren't tough)...ten minutes later, should be done!
- salt and pepper to taste
- Wash Potatoes and place in a pot with water.
- Boil them until tender.
- Place washed Broccoli and Cauliflour in a sauce pan that fits.
- Pour 1/2 cup water and set heat Med/Low.
- Steam then until veggies are tender, not mushy or too hard.
- Lighly salt and pepper to taste
So there you go, Hope you like the recipe!! Easy, quick & always delicious :)