Let's face it, at the first sign of sunshine we all start dreaming of glorious days spent basking in the sun, the heat and smiling faces, chillin' out, maxin', relaxin' all cool and of course, delighting on lots of delectable vegan goodies.
With spring readily on its way, there is no better time than the present to begin planning out all those delightful, fresh, veganlicious meals you want to try out. What better way to get the season off to a great start than by whipping up a dish of the same name?
Vegan spring rolls are always a tasty treat, whether you serve them as an appetizer pre-meal time, or simply as a snack through the day. Full of nutrition and certainly not lacking in droolworthy appeal, these spring rolls are quick and easy to prepare.
- 2 cups vegetable oil, divided
- 1 tbsp. peanut oil
- 1/2 head Chinese cabbage, shredded
- 1 large carrot, peeled and grated
- 1/2 cup bean sprouts
- 3 green onions, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tbsp. soy sauce
- 1/4 tsp. white pepper
- 2 tbsp. corn flour
- 1 tbsp. water
- 24 spring roll wrappers
- peanut sauce, for dipping
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Heat 1 tbsp. vegetable oil in a wok on medium-high heat.
- Add the peanut oil slowly, swirling it in with a small spoon until well coated over the bottom of the pan.
- Add the cabbage, carrot, bean sprouts, onions, and garlic. Fry for several minutes, or until tender.
- Add the soya sauce and pepper. Combine, remove from the stove and pour mixture into a medium-sized bowl. Set aside to cool.
- In a small bowl, combine the corn flour and water.
- Lay a wrapper out flat, brush around the edges with the corn flour and water mixture, and spoon about 1 tbsp. of the vegetable filling onto the center of the wrapper. Roll the wrapper up diagonally, from one corner to another, folding in the top and bottom to enclose the filling securely inside.
- Repeat to make as many additional rolls as desired.
- Heat remaining vegetable oil in wok on medium-high heat until sizzling slightly.
- Add spring rolls gently into the oil, cooking for 3 to 4 minutes or until wrappers are lightly golden on the outside.
- Remove rolls from oil and rest on wire rack over a baking tray to cool.
- Serve warm with fresh peanut sauce.
You can mix up the ingredients, adding more or taking some out, to suit your personal preferences. Or bring a few extra dipping sauces to the table to add some variety. There are lots of ways to change this recipe up and make it all your own.
One of the best things about these spring rolls? They're very low in fat and calories, making them perfect to nosh on pre-bikini season. The perfect way to top these beauties off? With a mouth watering watermelon frosty or cup of raw almond milk. Delish!
*Image courtesy Flickr creative commons.