Prep Time: 15 Minutes
Cook Time: 15 Minutes
My family loves kidney beans, especially in burritos. There are so many different ingredients that you can mix with a pot of kidney beans to make a delicious meal for your family. When I want to make a healthy Mexican meal for my family, I cook a large pot of kidney beans the day before. Afterward, I can use my blender or food processor to make refried beans or burritos to go along with my meal.
During the colder months leading up to spring, I enjoy making healthy kidney beans for dinner. Here is a wonderful recipe I have been experimenting with for several years. I have added different ingredients to my kidney beans and each time they have turned out delicious.
- 4 Cups precooked red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 Cup fresh mushroom, sliced
- ½ Cup cooked carrots, diced
- ½ Cup cooked potatoes, diced
- 2 Large tomatoes, diced
- 4 Tablespoons olive oil
- ½ Cup parsley, snipped
- 2 Tablespoon Vegan butter or margarine
- 1/3 Cup shallots, chopped fine
- 4 Cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 Small fresh red or green chilies, seeds removed, chopped fine
- 1/8 Teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/8 Teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/8 Teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 Tablespoons Pernod
- 1 Cup vegetable stock
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cook your kidney beans the day before.
- In a small saucepan, add your carrots and potatoes boil until tender, drain and set aside.
- In a large, deep skillet, heat olive oil and butter until hot.
- Add garlic and shallots, sauté until lightly browned.
- Add chilies, cloves, cumin, nutmeg, and cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add the mushroom to the skillet and cook for 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add the Pernod to the skillet and cook until it evaporates, stirring constantly.
- Add the vegetable stock and tomatoes to the skillet.
- Bring to a boil and cook for 4 minutes, on medium high heat.
- Add the cooked carrots, potatoes, kidney beans and parsley to the skillet.
- Stir occasionally until the beans are heated through.
Serve with Jasmine or brown rice and a salad.