SOYRIZO 2 T Sofrito - Goya makes a good brand but I used my Spanglish Style Sofrito (see ingredients below)
- 2 T Vegetable Oil 1/2 Can of Tomato Sauce
- 1 Can of Goya Gandules (Pigeon Peas)
- 4 C Long Grain Rice - I use long grain because it holds its form and less sticky
- Adobo Goya to taste (or you can use my Spanglish Spice Mix)
- 1 packet Sazón Goya 1/2 t oregano
- 4 C Water
- Aluminum Foil - This will help steam the rice to perfection.
- 1 pt Pico de Gallo
- 1 - 2 garlic clove
- 2 -3 T Tomato Sauce Blend together - if you can’t find Pico de Gallo use Fresh Salsa. Freeze what you don’t use.
HERE’S THE HOW TO:
In a heavy “Caldero” or good pot with lid, sautee Sofrito, Vegetable Oil and SOYRIZO (remove casing) Your entire house will immediately smell amazing! Then add rest of ingredients. On medium to high heat, bring to a boil. Then reduce heat to low to simmer, cover with aluminum foil and lid. Wait 15 to 20 minutes uncover and stir. Cover again and wait 10 to 15 more minutes until rice is fully opened and steamed to perfection!
*Image courtesy Flickr creative commons.