Prep Time: 15 Minutes
Cook Time: 1 Hour
Growing up with Grandparents from Texas okra was a popular vegetable on the dinner table. My Grandmother had 25 okra plants growing around her yard. Each day the bright yellow flowers bloomed and the pointy green wonders popped up. Okra became a vegetable we saw on the dinner table three to four times a week. My Grandmother loved to bake okra, fry okra, bread okra, and boil okra. I preferred the Cajun style of cooking okra and gumbo was my favorite. Here is a delicious vegan baked vegetable gumbo recipe I enjoy making for my family.
- 1 ¼ Pound fresh okra, sliced diagonally
- ½ Cup bread crumbs
- 1 Small onion, chopped
- 4 Large ripe tomatoes, sliced
- 4 Celery stalks, sliced diagonally
- 2 Serrano chilies, seeded and thinly sliced
- 2 Large green bell peppers, cleaned, seeded, and cut into strips
- 1 Teaspoon fresh basil, diced
- 10 Ounces frozen lima beans
- ½ Teaspoon fresh, dried basil, crumbled
- 10 Ounces frozen corn kernels, thawed
- ½ Cup vegan Monterey Jack Cheese, shredded
- 4 to 6 Tablespoon margarine, more if needed
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In saucepan, add 1 pound okra, cover with water, and add salt. Boil for 2 minutes, remove from stove, drain, and set aside.
- In saucepan, add celery and cover with water. Blanch celery for 2 minutes. Add bell pepper and lima beans. Cook until tender. Add corn and cook 30 seconds. Remove from stove, drain vegetables, and set aside.
- Dip ¼ pound okra in bread crumbs and lightly sauté in margarine, remove and drain on paper towels.
- In mixing bowl, combine onions, tomatoes, fresh basil, crush basil, and crush dill. Mix well and set aside.
Prepare Bakes Gumbo Creole:
- In a large glass baking dish, grease the bottom with margarine.
- Sprinkle the margarine with bread crumbs
- Add a layer of cooked vegetables and okra on top of bread crumbs
- Spoon onion and tomato mixture over top of vegetable layer
- Add chilies and season with salt and pepper
- Dot with margarine and sprinkle with a layer of bread crumbs.
- Repeat layering the casserole dish until full.
- Top with breaded fried okra and sprinkle with shredded vegan Monterey Jack Cheese.
- Bake in 300 degree oven for 1 hour.
*Image courtesy Flickr creative commons.