Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 1-2 minutes
There aren't many cheap choices in toppings for vegans. When you can't find a good option in the grocery store, there's always a way to make it yourself! This recipe will help you make cruelty-free spicy sour cream that'll be perfect paired with any taco, quesadilla or tortilla casserole. It works well for anyone looking to make something quick, and the tofu provides an added protein bonus.
This sour cream is an easy go-to as a topping to all kinds for all kinds of easy to make dinners. Put it on some loaded baked potatoes, chili or casseroles. With a little modification, this recipe can also be used to bake sweets. Try it with desserts that require a little sour cream. It's great when used to make pound cake or cheesecake.
As an added option: add this recipe [without the pepper!] to some vegan cream cheese, two or three tablespoons of sugar, and a teaspoon of vanilla extract. When blended together, you can make a great vegan cheesecake dip. It's rich, sweet and perfect to pair with graham crackers or fruit. It also works as a spread for bagels.
- 1 container [usually around 16 ounces] of silken tofu. Firm tofu can be used, but the sour cream will have a different texture.
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil [can be substituted for vegetable oil]
- 2 teaspoons crushed red pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
Other Optional Ingredients:
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 1/2 clove garlic [chopped]
- Spring onions [chopped]
- Add all ingredients into a blender. You can get rid of excess water from the silken tofu beforehand, but it's not recommended to make it too dry.
- Blend ingredients around 60 seconds, season to taste. Add optional ingredients like soy sauce.
- Once finished, pour the sour cream into a bowl or other container to chill. When serving, add on a garnish like onions, garlic or chives.
Image provided by merznatalia, through Can Stock Photo