Looking for a very easy, very yummy vegan salad to pack a punch of flavor? Here's a little something my mom and I make every holiday season , and for special occasions.
What you'll need:
- 1 package of shredded lettuce
- 1/2 of a white onion
- one small bag of frozen peas
- 1 1/2 cups of mayonnaise (vegan or otherwise)
- 1/2 cup of celery
- 1 cup of Cheddar Cheese (vegan or otherwise)
- 1 tbsp of sugar
- First, pour the lettuce into the bottom of a deep bowl. You can basically use as much lettuce as you want and adjust the layers' depth accordingly.
- Take the half of the white onion and chop it into bite-size pieces. After you're done, pour it on top of the lettuce and spread it out evenly.
- Remove the frozen peas from the bag and place them on top of the layer of chopped onions. Do NOT thaw out the peas first. It's better if they are frozen for this step. Make the layer as thick or thin as you wish.
- Chop the celery into small pieces until it is equal to a 1/2 cup. This is your next layer. Make sure it's nice and even.
- Mayonnaise (you can use a soy substitute if you're not eating dairy) should be placed in a small bowl (1 and 1/2 cups) and mixed well with 1 Tablespoon of sugar. Spread the mayonnaise mixture on top of the salad smoothly.
- Grate your Cheddar Cheese (Or whatever cheese you prefer. If you're a no-dairy dieter, then skip the cheese and use green onions instead) and sprinkle it over the mayonnaise.
- Cover the bowl with a sheet of foil and place it in your fridge overnight. By tomorrow it will be chilled perfectly, the peas will have thawed, and you'll have a delicious salad to feed your family and friends!
*Image courtesy Flickr creative commons.