Not just healthy for your body, olive oil has many great benefits. Here are some surprising ones worth trying out.
1. Soothing Body Scrub You can make a great scrub for your skin by combining olive oil with salt or sugar. The granules will rub away dead skin cells while the olive oil works as a moisturizer, leaving your skin looking gloriously smooth.
2. Pet Paw TLC Know how your dogs' paws get scraped and rough from running on sidewalks or tarred roads in the heat? A simple technique to sooth the soft under-paw skin is to dab on a bit of olive oil and rub it well. Your dog is sure to love the paw massage!
3. Quick Shoe Polish You can use a bit of olive oil to help your shoes regain their shine. Simply wipe down the shoe with a cloth or tissue to eliminate dust and then rub in a small amount of olive oil. Good as new!
4. Remove Sticky Chewing Gum There's nothing worse than when kids get chewing gum stuck in the carpet or their hair. Olive oil easily comes to the rescue. Simply lather the hair or fabric that is affected with olive oil and wait about half an hour so that the oil will work its way to soften the gum and make it easier for you to remove it.
5. Glossy Hair Olive oil is a great conditioning treatment if you want sleek, shiny hair. Here's how to prepare it: Boil some water in a small pot. When it starts to warm up, add some olive oil to a cup and place it into the pot. When the oil has been warmed by the hot water surrounding it, add a few teaspoons of it to your damp hair. Don't place it on your scalp, but massage it into the hair ends, letting it stay on for about half an hour. Wash it off well.
6. Silky Cuticles You don’t need a fancy cream to make your cuticles smoother. The next time you're making a salad and you spritz in some olive oil, dab a bit of it onto your nails, too!
*Image courtesy Flickr creative commons.