When I ate meat, I would often order sesame chicken from Chinese take out restaurants. It’s sweet, crispy, and full of flavour, but I’ve never found a vegan option, so I’ve adapted the chicken recipe, replacing the bird with tofu!
- 1 block extra firm tofu
- Flour for breading
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- oil for frying
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon corn starch dissolved in water
- Thinly slice the tofu into finger sized rectangles. In a shallow bowl, mix four and black pepper and lightly coat each tofu piece in flour.
- Heat a small amount of oil in a frying pan, and cook each side of the tofu until golden brown.
- In a separate pot, bring all other ingredients to a light boil, as soon as it begins to bubble, remove from heat.
- Serve over steamed, or fried rice with the sauce drizzled over top, and a sesame seed garnish.
*Image courtesy Flickr creative commons.