Prep Time: 2 hours
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Contrary to what most people might think, pizza does not need to be flat, or contain cheese! Making pizza at home gives you the freedom to create whatever shape you want, and the ingredients are entirely up to you. For this recipe I have chosen two simple ingredients that work well together, but anything can be used.
A rolled pizza is great as an appetiser or as a snack on the go, if made beforehand. Simply cut a few slices from the pizza roll and you are all set!
- 3 cups flour
- 1 cup water
- 2 table spoons sugar
- 1 table spoon yeast
- pinch of salt
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- -extra flour for kneading and rolling
- Tomato Sauce (as much as you desire)
- 1 cup artichoke hearts (chopped)
- ½ cup pitted black olives
- In a small bowl, combine yeast, water, sugar and stir. Set aside and allow the yeast to digest the sugar for half an hour.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, combine the dough ingredients and stir with either a wooden spoon, or your hands until a ball has formed. Cover with a towel and allow to rise for at least an hour.
- On a floured surface, knead the dough to a uniform consistency and roll into a large oval or rectangle; it doesn’t have to be perfect.
- Generously spread an amount of tomato sauce so that the entire surface is covered, and casually distribute the artichoke hearts and olives across the dough.
- Fold the two shorter ends of the dough about two inches inwards – this will help prevent sauce and filling from falling out while baking.
- Gently lift a long end of the dough and very carefully roll tightly until the dough looks like a log. Transfer to a baking sheet and bake for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Remove from heat and serve sliced, either warm, or at room temperature.