You don’t need milk to make ice cream! There are plenty of great vegan alternatives out there. Here are three that are super easy and sure to get your mouth watering.
Bananas are great for making vegan ice cream because when they are ripe they're brilliant in soft serve ice cream recipes. Ready for it? Here's an easy recipe to try:
- 1. Take ripe bananas, peel them and place them in a Ziploc bag in the freezer to harden overnight.
- 2. When you take them out of the freezer, cut them into small pieces.
- 3. Blend the bananas in a food processor for approximately a minute. Don't do it for longer as you don't want its consistency to become too loose.
That's it! So creamy and delicious!
Creamy Coconut and Vanilla Bean
This recipe uses four ingredients - yes, just four! - to make a refreshing and delicious vegan ice cream. But you do need an ice cream maker.
Okay, here’s what you need:
- 1 vanilla bean
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 cans coconut milk
- 4 teaspoons of corn starch
- 1. Take the corn starch and a bit of the coconut milk and whisk them together.
- 2. The rest of the coconut milk and sugar should be placed on medium heat on the stove.
- 3. Cut the vanilla bean and remove its seeds, then add both to the pot.
- 4. Gently whisk in the corn starch blend from step 1, beating it for a few minutes.
- 5. Take the mixture off the stove and let it cool in the fridge overnight.
- 6. Freeze it in your ice cream maker.
Chocolate Ice Cream Dream
Who doesn’t love chocolate ice cream? For this recipe, you need three ingredients:
- 2 cans coconut milk (Again, it’s the coconut milk that makes it so delicious. Choose coconut milk that’s full of fat so that it will make it extra creamy.)
- 1 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
What you need to do is:
- 1. Place the ingredients in a small pot and stir them well over medium heat on the stove. You want the mixture to become thick, which will happen after approximately 10 minutes.
- 2. Remove the mixture from the stove and let it cool. Then place it in a container and pop it into the fridge for approximately four hours.
- 3. Place it in an ice cream maker where it will be mixed for approximately 20 minutes.
- 4. Once that is done, freeze it.
*Image courtesy Flickr Creative Commons