Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 30-40 minutes
My current love affair with sweet potatoes is still going strong. (You may have noticed a recurring theme to my recipes lately!) I never used to be that keen on these veg, I could just take them or leave them, but just recently I have discovered how delicious, healthy and versatile they are, so what’s not to love? I am a great fan of the usual potato wedges, baked in the oven, and so I decided to try the sweet potato version, with a creamy lemon and chive dip of my own devising. It worked really well, as I think that the sweetness of the veg complements the lemony dip perfectly. It's snacking heaven! So here, for your delectation, is the recipe.
Ingredients (Makes around 16 wedges + 2 small bowls of dip)
For the wedges:
2 large sweet potatoes, left in their skins
1-2 tbsp olive oil
Salt and black pepper to taste
1 tsp of fresh thyme, finely chopped
For the dip:
1 small (75 ml) carton of vegan cream, e.g. soya or other plant cream
Juice and grated zest of half a lemon
1-2 tbsp of chives, finely chopped (+ a few extra as a garnish)
Salt and pepper to taste
1 clove of garlic, minced or crushed
1-2 tsp of vegan mayonnaise
1) Preheat oven to around 230ËC/400 ËF/Gas Mark 8.
2) Scrub the sweet potatoes in their skins, then slice each into long wedges.
3) Put wedges in a mixing bowl with olive oil, thyme, and seasoning and mix until well coated.
4) Place wedges on an oiled baking tray (you may need more than one) in oven for around 30-40 minutes, turning halfway through, so they get crispy all over.
5) Whilst wedges are cooking, make the dip. Put soya cream and all other ingredients in blender and whizz round until well mixed (or mix in a bowl by hand. Not too onerous really!)
6) Pour dip into a suitable serving bowls, garnish with a few chives and place the oven-baked wedges on a plate around it.
Enjoy as a savoury snacking treat. (Sweet potatoes are good for you, so you don't have to feel too guilty about it!)
*Image courtesy Flickr creative commons.