Prep Time: 10 Minutes
Cook Time: 25 Minutes
Hot and spicy Mexican dishes are always a favorite of mine to cook for dinner parties, luncheons, and family gatherings. I especially love this particular Mexican dish that I use Tofu instead of chicken, meat, or spicy sausage. This is a wonderful combination of vegetables, spices, noodles, and just a hint of Mexican flavoring for the perfect vegan dish. Next time you are in the mood for a good Mexican meal, please try this recipe.
- 2 Teaspoons olive oil
- 1 Onion, chopped
- 1 Cup Green peppers, chopped
- 3 Red, green or yellow chili peppers, diced
- 1 Pound Firm Tofu, pressed and cut into ½ inch cubes
- 1 Bay leaf
- ¼ Teaspoon pepper
- Salt to taste
- 2 – 1 Pound cans tomatoes, drained and chopped (reserve liquid)
- 1 Cup liquid from tomatoes
- 3 Cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Cup celery, chopped
- 2 Carrots, graded
- 1 Cup Mushrooms, sliced
- 1 Large zucchini, sliced
- 1 Large eggplant, cleaned and cubed
- 2 Teaspoons paprika
- ¼ Teaspoon saffron
- ¼ Cup cilantro, diced
- 1 Cup Mexican salsa, optional
- 2 Cups noodles, cooked and drained
- Press Tofu and cut into ½ inch cubes.
- Cook noodles according to directions on the box. Drain and rinse, set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat oil on medium heat.
- Add garlic, onions, celery, green peppers, chili peppers, mushrooms, carrots, and Tofu.
- Cook 15 minutes, stirring carefully to not break up the Tofu.
- Add tomatoes, zucchini, eggplant, reserved tomato liquid, and spices.
- Reduce heat to low, cover skillet and cook until the vegetables are tender, 10 minutes.
- Remove bay leaf and add noodles.
- Toss noodles and continue to cook until noodles are hot.
- Pour the salsa over the top of the noodle and sprinkle with cilantro.
Before serving my meal I like to add the salsa on top of the noodles and sprinkle with cilantro. You can put the salsa and cilantro on your table and each person can add their own.
This makes an excellent main course meal for any dinner party. You can add a tossed green salad, fresh hot flour tortillas, and avocados to your table. Try adding different vegetables to give this a completely different flavor. I always use fresh vegetables when I cook this meal.