Prep Time: About 20 mins.
Cook Time: About 1 1/2 hours
I am the soup queen. I once hosted a Soup party and called it Soupapolooza. It's maybe not terribly original, but you have to admit that this soup screams of comfort. Check it out!
- 1 package Fakin Bacon (You could omit this, but it adds a lovely, smoky flavor)
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 1 cup diced celery
- 3 large cloves of garlic, minced
- Olive oil
- 2 cups of dried lentils
- 8 cups vegetable stock, maybe a little more to thin soup
- 1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 3 Bay leaves
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- Pinch cloves
- Small handful fresh parsley or a healthy sprinkle of dried
- Scant tsp seasalt
- Freshly Ground Pepper to taste 3 cups diced potato or half potato and half rutabaga
- Saute Fakin Bacon, carrots, onion, celery and garlic in enough olive oil to lightly cover the bottom of the soup pot, until golden.
- Combine with lentils, stock, tomatoes, herbs, salt and a healthy grind of black pepper.
- Cover and bring to a boil, simmering about an hour. Add potatoes and rutabaga, if using, bring to a boil and cook another 20-30 mins until potatoes are tender.
- Adjust seasoning. if soup is more stew-like than you desire, add more stock.
I make this early in the afternoon and let it sit on the stove until dinner time.