- 1/4 cup shallots
- 1 cup of puy or green lentils
- 2 bay leaves
- 40fl oz/1.25 liters/5 cups of vegetable stock
- Salt and pepper
- 4tbsp of butter or Earth balance.
- 8oz/225g/scant 1 1/4 cups of long grain rice
- 8 sheets of filo pastry, thawed if frozen
- 2tbsp of chopped fresh parsley
- 2tsp of chopped fresh fennel or savory
- 4 eggs, 1 beaten and 3 hard cooked and sliced (optional)
- 8 oz/225g of portobello mushrooms, sliced
- Put the lentils, bay leaves, and half of the shallots in a large, heavy bottom pan. Add half of the stock and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and let simmer for 25 minutes, or until the lentils are tender. Remove the heat, season with salt and pepper, and let cool completely.
- Melt half of the butter in a heavy bottom pan over medium heat, add the remaining shallots, and cook, stirring frequently, until softened. Add the rice and cook, stirring, for 1 minute, then add the remaining stock. Season and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat, cover, and let simmer for 15 minutes. Remove from the heat and let cool completely.
- Melt the remaining butter over low heat, then brush an ovenproof dish lightly with it. Arrange the filo sheets in the dish with the sides overhanging, brushing each sheet with melted butter. Add the parsley, fennel, and beaten egg to the rice mixture. Make layers of rice, hard cooked egg, lentils, and mushrooms in the dish, seasoning each layer. Scrunch up the filo sheets into folds on top of the pie. Brush with melted butter and let chill for 15 minutes. Bake in a preheated oven, 375F/190C, for 45 minutes. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
Substitute ingredients as needed.