Health is a physical, mental and social well-being. Man should be healthy physically, mentally, emotionally, socially and spiritually; mere absence of disease is not health.
-World Health Association
Going all vegetarian has many health benefits including lower blood cholesterols levels, lower risk of heart diseases, lower blood pressure levels, and lower risk of hypertension and type 2 diabetes. The BODY MASS INDEX (BMI) of vegetarians are lower and they are less prone to cancers. Their diet contain more dietary fibers, magnesium and potassium, vitamins C and E, folate, carotenoids, flavonoids, and other phytochemicals. Their diet also contain less saturated fats and cholesterols compared to European's diet due to bad eating habits(less green in their plates) and fast food addiction.
However, they may suffer from vitamin B-12, calcium, vitamin D, zinc, and long chain n-3 fatty acids.
All the world leaders were all vegetarians including Mahatma Gandhi, Hippocrates( The father of Medicine), Thoreau, Pythagoras, Leonardo Da Vinci and Tolstoy.
"Animal food is incompatible with the needs of the human body." Shri Satya Sai Baba
"Disease is the retribution of outraged nature."
"Life is not living, but living in health."
"What we think and what we eat, combined together, make what we are, physically and mentally."
"The best of all medicines are rest and fasting."
"Nature, time and patience are the 3 great physicians."
"We are to carefully preserve that life which the author of Nature has given us, for it was no idle gift."
Following harmful effects have been noticed in the non-vegetarian diets-
- Meat or animal foods due to having large amounts of saturated fats and cholesterols, hardens and narrows the arteries (atherosclerosis) leading to high blood pressure and other related heart diseases. Too much fat causes weight gain and obesity.
- Protein obtained from meat has high uric acid. It leads to arthritis, gout which in turn can lead to kidney failure.
- Meat is low in dietary fibre and hence can cause constipation and colonic disorders.
- According to Ayurveda, meat is considered a 'Tamsik' Food. This means it creates inertia, heaviness and dullness in the body because the body has to use more energy to digest meat and non-veg foods.
- If the animal is diseased or the meat is infected, eating it may lead to food poisoning, disease, cancer of the colon.
- Although from the point of view of composition and ratio of various amino acids, animal protein is considered better than protein but this dificiency can be made up by eating of a combination of vegetables example, soyabeans, nuts, milk, and pulses. Those who like to engage in bodybuilding exercises can also benefit from plant based supplement which is far out more healthy than those with nasty chemicals, steriods and inorganic substances thereby promoting an overall good body from the inside to the outside, consider peas protein, rice protein supplements.
- Meats are highly acidic and create problem of acidity.
- When an animal is killed, it cries with pain and is highly scared which releases many toxins and chemicals in its body which are ingested by us when we eat its meat.
Spirituality teaches us that negative vibrations of the suffering animal permeates its body when it is killed and the same vibrations affect our psyche and soul when we consume its meat.
- Since meat is always eaten of a dead animal, its prana or vitality is considerably lost. That is why meat eaters inspite of taking so much fat always feel exhausted and drained of energy and they have little stamina and endurance.
It is to be noted that there is a fundamental difference between humans nd carnivorous animals. The former have an alkaline stomach and the latter have a highly acidic stomach where even the raw flesh will get dissolved on its way to digestion.