Prep Time: 15 mins.
Cook Time: 7-10 mins.
The inspiration for this recipe comes from when I lived in Canary Islands. I used to go to this little Indian market which was stocked with all sorts of Indian products, such as spices: cardamom, turmeric, cumin, coriander, etc. roti, chapatti, naan, samosas, vegan savory snacks and a great tea selection. I was never able to leave the market without getting some Kaju Katli; by far my favorite Indian sweet treat.
Kaju is the Hindi word for cashew nuts. Nuts are my favorite snack and after eating a handful of cashews, I was once again reminded how delicious Kaju Katli was, and decided to make a batch to try at home. Contrary to what I thought, this delicious treat is really simple to make. It’s quick and easy, and is sure to please anyone with a sweet tooth. You can also substitute cashews with pistachios (Pista Katli) or almonds (Badam Katli), or combine different nuts using the same procedure. You can also top them with shredded coconut or your favorite nut.
1 cup of cashews
3/4 cup (or slightly less if you prefer) of sugar or 24 packets of Stevia
1/4 cup of water
¼ tsp. crushed cardamom powder *optional
1 tbsp. rose water *optional
Yields about 20 diamonds.
1. In a skillet, bring the cashews to a light toast. Set aside to cool. When cool, powder them in a food processor, blender or a coffee grinder.
2. If using cardamom. Remove the pods and crush. Set aside to use when needed.
3. Mix the sugar and water in a wide saucepan.
4. Heat until small bubbles begin to appear on the surface.
5. Stir gently and let it come to a boil.
6. Pour in the cashew powder, rose water and cardamom (if using) and stir well to avoid lumps.
7. Keep stirring for a few minutes until the mixture gets thicker and smoother.
8. Turn off the heat and move the pan away from the hot surface.
9. Let it cool slightly.
10. Meanwhile line a baking pan with parchment paper. This mixture fits a 11 X 8" pan.
11. Knead well with your hands and transfer onto the prepared pan. Press either with a spatula or take another piece of parchment paper and place on the top of the mixture and rollout with a rolling pin to even out the layer. Remove the top wax paper.
12. Let it cool completely (for about 20- 25 minutes) and then cut into diamond shaped pieces. Store in airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a month.
This is a healthy mouthwatering treat that your family will love. Enjoy!