Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
October is finally here! There is something about October that sets my creative blood astir! October baptizes us with falling leaves, swaddles us in its enthralling chill, candy bars, jack-o-lanterns, trick-or-treat. October is a grave delight, where warlocks, witches, and goblins play. Oh, October how I wish you would always stay.
One of the funniest things about Halloween is getting spooky and creative with the food you serve for your Halloween gathering. One of the easiest ideas, that kids will just love, are Jack-o-Lantern Orange Salad Bowls. You can create them as cute pumpkins or frightening jack-o-lanterns! Once you have the orange’s carved you simply fill them with your choice of healthy snacks.
These orange bowls are easy to make and kid-friendly! You can fill them with fruit, pretzels, pudding and more! You can also draw on the oranges instead of carving them so you can fill them with orange juice or your child's favorite type of smoothie.
- Sharp kitchen knife or Xacto knife
- Child safe pumpkin carving tool
- Start by cutting off the top of the orange. Cut around the insides of the orange and remove the orange slices. Be sure to put the orange slices in a Ziploc baggie in the refrigerator to enjoy later.
- Now give your child a safe pumpkin carving tool and let them carve out the orange just like they would a pumpkin.
- Once the orange is carved you can fill it with your favorite healthy snack!
I like to fill the orange jack-o-lanterns with a healthy and delicious fruit salad. Toss in some strawberry slices, blueberries, grapes, cantaloupe, kiwi and more. You can add a little extra sweetness by sprinkling confectionery sugar on top. You can add a plastic spider on top and the kids will just love them. Happy Halloween!