Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 5 to 7 minutes
Sometimes breakfast can be a little boring. Try some sweet potato waffles. They will give you a solid jump start in the morning. Sweet potatoes are great for any meal during the day. They help the immune system. Having a healthy immune system is important when it comes to your overall health. Sweet potatoes are steadily growing more popular among foodies. They are a terrific source of iron, vitamin C, and contain a ton of antioxidants. Most only contain about 100 calories are a little more or less. Enjoy starting your day with this healthy fat and high fiber. They're best when organic and remember-- the skin of sweet potatoes is totally edible. No
- Waffle Iron
- Non- Stick Cooking Spray of your Choice
- 1 1/4 cup mashed sweet potato (Baked a large or 2 medium size sweet potatoes in aluminum foil at 375 for up to an hour)
- 1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/3 cup olive oil or melted coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
- a dash of nutmeg
- 1 1/2 cup almond milk (or whatever vegan milk you have on hand)
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- Preheat your waffle iron. Be careful if your iron heats up quickly.
- In a large bowl, combine all dry ingredients : the flour, cornstarch, baking powder,cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the oil, milk, and vinegar. Add the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and combine well.
- Fold in the sweet potatoes. You don't want the consistency to be thick or too thin.
- Spray the waffle iron before placing waffle mixture on iron.
- Check on waffles periodically so they wont overcook.
- When waffles are done remove from iron and plate.
- Optional, top with bananas are fruit or top with some homemade/ vegan whipped cream.
*Image courtesy Flickr creative commons.