Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Here it is! A healthy biscuit that’s just perfect for Thanksgiving or any holiday brunch.
These fluffy savory pumpkin biscuits will fill your home with a wonderful Holiday aroma. They're lightly flavored with cinnamon, nutmeg, ground cloves and ginger. They are simply perfect on their own or with a hearty fall stew or chili.
Homemade biscuits are a thousand times better than store bought ones and so very easy to make.
(Makes one dozen)
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour, plus more for dusting the board
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 teaspoons ginger powder
- 3 tablespoon vegan margarine
- ¾ cup pumpkin puree
- ½ cup coconut or almond milk
- 4 packets of stevia/ 4 tablespoons brown sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
2. In a large mixing bowl, sift the dry ingredients.
3. Blend in the margarine adding a bit at a time until mixed.
4. In a medium bowl, combine the pumpkin, coconut/almond milk, and stevia
5. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir until the mixture holds together.
6. Transfer the dough onto a floured board.
7. Gently pat (do NOT roll with a rolling pin) the dough out until it's about 1/2" thick. Fold the dough about 5 times, gently press the dough down to a 1 inch thick.
8. Cut dough into three inch rounds with a lightly floured cutter.
9. Use the scraps until you're through with all of the dough.
10. Place dough rounds, 2 inches apart, on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
11. Bake until golden brown, about 12 to 15 minutes.
12. Transfer to a wire rack. Serve warm.
Tip: The key to real fluffy biscuits is not in the ingredients, but in the handling of the dough. It must be handled as little as possible or you will have tough biscuits.
You also must pat the dough out with your hands, lightly. Using a rolling pin results in tougher biscuits.