Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
This healthy and quick-to-prepare salad can easily be modified according to your preferences. Note: the recipe uses canned chickpeas. If you wish to use dry ones and cook them yourself, follow the instructions on the package and plan ahead with that amount of time added.
Ingredients needed for the recipe:
- 3 cups of canned chick peas (750 ml)
- Half an onion, finely chopped (80g)
- 4 Italian tomatoes, chopped into squares and with the seeds taken out (280g)
- 1 celery branch, chopped
- 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil (30ml)
- 3 tablespoons of lemon juice (one lemon)
- Half a teaspoon of cayenne pepper (1g)
- Half a teaspoon of powdered cumin (1g)
- 1 pinch of salt (0.1g)
- Pepper to taste
- 2 1/2 tablespoons of fresh mint, finely chopped (8g)
- 1 teaspoon of white vinegar
1. Finely chop the onion and put in a bowl filled with water and the white vinegar. Let it soak for approximately 30 minutes at room temperature, or an entire night in the refrigerator. The purpose of this step is to make the raw onion more crunchy and easy to digest.
2. Pour the oil and the lemon juice in a salad bowl. Add the spices, salt (optional) and pepper. Beat with a fork until the salad dressing is emulsified.
3. Drain and rinse the chick peas, then add to the salad bowl. Chop the tomatoes into squares, remove the seeds and add to the salad bowl. Chop the celery and add to the salad bowl. Finely chop the mint and add it to the salad. Add the chopped onion. Mix all the ingredients well and verify if the spices are just right for you. Add more if needed.
4. Let it sit for approximately ten minutes so that the flavors may blend well.
5. Serve alone as an appetizer or on a bed of rice as a meal.
Image credit: flickr.com