Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
- 1 cup + 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 stick or 1/2 cup vegan butter spread
- Ice water
- 9 ounces extra firm tofu
- 3 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small red onion, cut into small pieces
- 1 carrot, diced
- 2 cloves crushed garlic
- 1 yukon gold potato, diced
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 1/4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 teaspoons nutritional yeast
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1 teaspoon thyme leaves
- Salt and pepper
- 2 (12-ounce) ramekins
Crust (pt. 1)
- Place the flour into a bowl and chill in the freezer. Also place a fork in the freezer alongside it. Leave to sit while preparing the filling.
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Cut the tofu into 1/2-inch cubes, press between paper towels to remove excess water.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large pan over medium to medium high heat. Place the tofu cubes and cook until golden. Remove tofu from pan and set to the side.
- Heat remaining tablespoons of olive oil in the same skillet. Add the carrot, onion and garlic and sauté.
- Add the potato to the pan and cook, stir occasionally until tender.
- Add the nutritional yeast, soy sauce and remaining flour to the pan and stir into the vegetables.
- Add vegetable broth and stir until combined.
- Add peas, tofu and thyme, stir until combined.
- Remove from heat.
Crust (Pt. 2)
- Take the bowl and fork out of the freezer.
- Add the vegan butter spread into the flour. Using the fork, cut the mixture until it becomes coarse and grainy. Using your hands, rub the mixture together until the butter is fully absorbed.
- Drizzle ice water into the bowl, mixing with the fork until it becomes a dough.
- Shape the dough into a ball and flatten into a circle. Place the dough onto a floured surface a roll out to 1/8 inch thick.
- Place the ramekins upside down over top the dough, use a knife to cut out circles about 1/2 inch larger on all sides.
- Pour the tofu and vegetable mixture between the ramekins.
- Place the dough circle over each ramekin, fold the sides under. Press into and seal the edges of the ramekin. Cut a small slit in the middle.
- Bake in the oven - about 40 minutes.
- Let sit for about 5-10 minutes before serving.
Photo courtesy of Wikimedia Creative Commons