A quick and easy vegan twist on a classic southern Italian dish. A favorite among kids and adults due to its ‘meaty’ texture and crispiness.
- One large eggplant, sliced vertically into cutlets
- 1 Cup of Soy Milk
- 3/4 c. brown rice flour
- Oregano, Thyme
- Basil Leaves
- Vegan Cheese (Optional)
- Sliced Red Bell pepper
- Crispy baguette bread
- Marinara sauce
- Peel and slice eggplant & bell pepper vertically into cutlets, sprinkle with salt, and let sit for about 20 minutes. Rinse eggplant slices with cold water and pat dry.
- Open a can of crushed tomatoes and pour in a pot. Add a few dried spices such as oregano, hot pepper and basil leaves. Let it simmer for 20-30 minutes.
- Mix the soy milk and brown rice flour in a wide shallow dish and season with salt, orgeano, parsley, thyme and basil. Batter should have creamy consistency. Dip eggplant in the soy milk batter mixture and coat the eggplant liberally with breadcrumbs and nutritional yeast.
- Heat generous amount of oil in a pan and fry the eggplant until lightly browned and crispy.
- Spread the bread with vegan mayo, stack the eggplant slices and add some marinara sauce, basil leaves and vegan cheese. Place the panini on a lightly heated grill pan or panini grill for about 3-4 minutes. Flip and grill the other side.
- Serve hot.
*Image courtesy Flickr creative commons.
We want you!
The Flaming Vegan is looking for paid bloggers! Whether you're vegan, vegetarian, or just v-curious we'd love for you to write for us. Signing up is quick, easy, and free. Start blogging for us today!