Cook Time: 30-35 minutes
These are good eatin'! Have been making them for years. Fat free (unless you count the cooking spray but who is?).
- 1 cup oatmeat (old fashioned or quick, the muffins don't care)
- 1/4 cup ground flax seed (flax seed meal?)
- 1 1/4 cup of whatever kind of vegan milk you want
- 3/4 cup brown surgar (again, light or dark, whichever you have the most of)
- 1 banana
- A handfull of raisins
- A handful of walnuts
With a potato smasher, beat the dickens* out of it
You now have an hour to kill at least, so do what you want. I've let it sit for 8 hours and it works fine. But wait at least an hour before turning on the oven to 350° and adding:
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (if you use Kosher, make it a heaping teaspoon)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda.
Now don't go beating the dickens* out of this or you make a wreck out of the baking powder. Treat it all gentle like.Just mix it well.
Get out the spray and muffin tin and spray the tin and spoon (if you have an ice cream scoop they work might nice).
Fill the tins so they are as equal as possble so no one is fighting.
Stick them in the oven on a cookie sheet (I have no idea why, but Grandma said to use a cookie sheet) for 30-35 minutes until the they smell up the house and something you poke in it comes out clean.
Lett'em cool in their pan and then flip it over to remove them and put them in a plastic bag.
Call your Grandpa over for a muffin and coffee.
*What's a dickens?
*Image courtesy Flickr creative commons.