Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 12 minutes
A little less than two years ago, my husband and I moved to a new place. Our neighbors introduced themselves not too long after we had settled in. They were a lovely elderly couple.
I became so close to them, that I started calling them grandma and grandpa. They always made me feel at home. Grandpa would make bread and bring it to my door, warm right out of his bread machine! It was delicious. I not only received bread but also grandma's delicious home cooked meals. It was something I never asked for but I was so thankful and blessed for their kindness.
My favorite thing that grandma made for me was pasta salad. The first time I had it I felt like I could eat the whole bowl and let me tell you, it was a big bowl! It was seriously that good. I loved how refreshing and light the pasta salad was. It is the perfect dish for hot summer days. If you want to make something simple without spending a lot of time on it, this pasta salad is the dish for you.
Ingredients: (Serves a small family.)
- One box or bag of Fusilli pasta noodles (these are the noodles that are corkscrew shaped)
- 2 cucumbers
- About 20 cherry tomatoes
- A handful of shredded carrots
- Half a small jar of black olives
- 1/4 of a small onion
- Italian dressing
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cilantro for garnish
- Cook the pasta as directed in box or bag. While the pasta is cooking, dice the cucumbers in small pieces, cut the cherry tomatoes in half, as well as the olives and chop the onion.
- Shred the carrots (about two carrots). When the pasta is done, drain and rinse with cold water. Place pasta in a bowl and add all the vegetables. Pour the Italian dressing and mix together well. You can add as much dressing as you want. Keep in mind that this is a pasta not a soup, so add the dressing as needed. Salt and pepper to taste and mix again.
- This salad is served cold, so place the bowl in a refrigerator for about an hour with plastic wrap over the bowl.
- When ready to serve sprinkle some chopped cilantro on top and enjoy!
This salad would make a great entree for a romantic picnic. I hope you give this a try.