I love this recipe for the fact that it is easy, makes alot, stores well, and you can do so much with it. You can follow this recipe exactly or be creative and switch nuts or seeds in the recipe with different nuts or seeds. Also you can different types of dried fruit, or even some vegan chocolate or carob chips if you have a sweet tooth. Use all organic ingredients when possible.
- 3 cups rolled oats (old fashioned oatmeal not quick cooking)
- 1 cup sesame seeds
- 1 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened coconut
- 1 1/2 cups wheat germ or 1 cup wheat germ + 1/2 cup ground flax seed
- 1 cup sliced almonds
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 cup sweetener (1 cup maple syrup, or 3/4 cup maple syrup + 1/4 cup agave syrup, or 1/2 cup syrup + 1/4 cup molasses)
- 1 cup raisins (after baking)
- 1 cup dried cranberries (after baking)
- Mix all dry ingredients then mix in sweetener and oil
- Bake at 325 in a large enough pan to fit all the granola or use several smaller pans/pyrex dishes for about 35-45 minutes stirring every 10-15 minutes to avoid burning.
- Let granola cool to room temperature, mix in raisins, cranberries, and any other fun ingredients you are adding. Store granola in air tight containers. I find glass jars work the best, plastic containers or zip lock bags will work also.
*Image courtesy Flickr creative commons.