Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Well, this was supposed to be a recipe for vegan mac and cheese. And then I started cooking and this is what came to be. It's so much better than what I originally planned and so full of flavor and veggies and… well, do I need to go on? You have to try this one.
- 3 cups gluten free pasta (I chose fussili)
- Pot of water
- 3-4 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 medium sized onion, diced
- 1 medium sized carrot, finely grated
- ½ head of cauliflower, cut into small florets
- ½ cup of water
- 1 cup rice milk
Herbs and spices:
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric
- 1/5 teaspoon ground red paprika
- Dash of black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
- Handful of fresh parsley, finely chopped
- Salt to taste
- Handful of cashews
- 1 cup corn flakes, ground
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Start with making the sauce. Meanwhile put the pot of water on the stove and bring it to a boil.
- Sautee the onions, add the grated carrot, cauliflower and spices. Pour in some water and cook the vegetables for about ten minutes, just to bring the flavors together and soften the veggies.
- You should place the pasta in the pot of boiling water now and cook as instructed. Maybe a bit more al dente than soft since they will continue to cook in the oven.
- At this time you should preheat your oven to 375 F.
- Once the vegetables are soft, take ¾ of the not yet sauce and place it in a blender. Add some rice milk, but not all at once. You want a creamy sort of saucy thing. The ¼ you’re saving so the sauce still has some chunks in it when you bake it in the oven.
- Drain your pasta and mix with the creamy and chunky sauce. Place in an oven proof dish. Add about a quarter cup of rice milk so the pasta doesn’t dry out while baking in the oven.
- Sprinkle the cashews and ground corn flakes mixed with olive oil on top. If you have some nutritional yeast, you can add that, too.
- Place in the oven for about 20 minutes.
- Serve with a nice leafy green salad and go to town!