Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20-25
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tbs ground flaxseed
- 1/4 cup applesauce
- 4. 2-4 packets xylitol (8-16g) - (use another sweetener if you wish)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbs lemon juice
- 1 1/4 cup oat flour
- 1/4 cup tapioca flour (you can probably sub this with more oat flour)
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- pinch of sea salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- handful of raisins and/or chocolate chips
- 1 tsp poppy seeds
(I suggest cooking your quinoa a little beforehand so it has time to cool down)
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Get out a medium-sized bowl and mix the ground flaxseeds in with the almond milk. Then add in the applesauce, xylitol/other sweetener), vanilla extract and lemon juice.
- Get out a large bowl and add in the oat and tapioca flour, baking powder, sea salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and poppy seeds.
- Add the wet ingredients into the larger bowl and use a spatula to fold everything together until mixed together. Next, fold in the raisins and/or chocolate chips and the cooked quinoa. Blueberries/strawberries/raspberries/cherries/chopped apple would also be good!
- Distribute the mixture evenly among muffin moulds (I like using silicon since it is easy to remove the muffins after they are done baking) and bake for around 20-25 minutes. If they aren't quite done, bake for another 3-5 minutes or so. Allow to cool down before removing the muffins.
I think this made around 5 large muffins. They weren't as "pretty" as some muffins, but they were nice and moist from the cooked quinoa and delicious with some Earth Balance and fresh fruit.