Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
I've made this for the past two mornings. It is a single serving and is quite quick to get ready. The first time I baked it in a ramekin (shown in the photo), and this morning I just spread it onto a piece of parchment paper on a baking sheet and made it into the shape of a thick large cookie. It cut down on the baking time by about 10 minutes, so maybe opt for that if you are pressed for time or just want it to be more like a soft oatmeal cookie instead of a baked oatmeal "cake".
For those who are interested, I plugged in the ingredients into a nutrition calculator and it came it at under 250 calories. More importantly is the fact that it is made of healthy ingredients - no sugar or artificial flavours! :)
- 1/4 cup gluten free oats
- 1 tbs chia seeds mixed with 1 tbs almond milk / water + 2 tbs unsweetened apple sauce
- 1 tsp corn starch
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tbs cinnamon
- 1/2 small banana (you can probably omit but it adds sweetness and helps everything stick together)
- 2 tbs frozen/fresh blueberries
- extra slices of banana, optional
- Preheat oven to 375F. In a bowl, mix the chia seeds, almond milk and apple sauce and leave for about 1 minute. Add in the rest of the ingredients except for the blueberries and extra banana slices. Mash the 1/2 banana in the bowl until creamy and mix everything together. Stir in the blueberries.
- Get out a ramekin or a parchment paper-lined baking sheet and either place the mixture in the ramekin or spread it onto the baking sheet (not too thin - made it about 3/4" or so - like a thick cookie!) and bake for around 15-18 minutes if you made it cookie-shaped or for around 20-25 minutes if you put it in a ramekin. We're not dealing with raw eggs or anything like that, so if it is "under-baked" It'll just be more like oatmeal and the longer you bake it will make it more solid. Just see what you prefer!
When I made it in the ramekin, I placed some sliced banana on top and when I made it in a cookie shape I added some shards of vegan dark chocolate.