Here's a colorful twist on an old favorite: the mashed potato! By adding carrots and fresh herbs, a simple starch becomes a nutrient-savvy side dish in minutes. Wink!
This recipe is what happens when you visit a vibrant organic Farmer's Market and are dazzled by the diverse array of colorful vegetables and herbs available! A clear reminder of the beauty, abundance and brilliant flavors of nature.
Give these spuds a go and/or enjoy creating your own fun combinations so you can treat your friends to a dish that will delight the eyes as much as the taste buds.
Farmer's Market "Confetti" Mashed Potatoes
- 1 lb organic Red/Blue/Purple Potatoes
- 1/2 lb organic Carrots, with tops if possible
- 1/2 cup fresh Flat Leaf Parsley
- 2 tbsp fresh Chives (optional)
- 1-3 Cloves Garlic
- 2 tbsp Margarine
- 1/4-1 cup Unsweetened Almond Milk
- Sprinkle of Garlic Powder
- Sprinkle of Nutmeg (optional)
- Sea Salt and Pepper, to taste
- Mince garlic and saute in a large pot until golden. Remove from pot and set aside.
- Slice potatoes into quarters or eights and cut carrots smaller than potatoes, reserve tops. Boil potatoes and carrots together in lightly salted water. Drain, then mash, adding almond milk, garlic, margarine and seasonings. Add more or less almond milk, depending on how you like your potatoes, stir well.
- Chop parsley, chives and/or carrot tops, mix into mash until evenly distributed.
*I heart herbs! Any fresh chopped herb works well in this recipe, if you prefer basil or mint or a tiny bit of rosemary, go for it! Personalize this recipe any way you like, potato possibilities are endless!
*Give this recipe a beautiful look and unusual flavor by using only purple potatoes and Herbs de Provence to flavor the mash. A sprinkle of dried or fresh lavender blossoms with lemon zest and juice is nice too. Gorgeous and delicious!
Thank you for reading! If you like this recipe, please vote.
*Image courtesy Flickr creative commons.