Prep Time: 2 hours
Cook Time: 1 hour
If you're in the mood for something that satisfies your sweet tooth while being easy to make and good for you, then pumpkin rice pudding is a must-try! It’s also a great treat for guests.
Ingredients You’ll Need:
- 1 cup rice (white or brown, although the brown is healthier)
- 2 cups pumpkin puree (either fresh or canned)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 4 cups nut milk (almond is a good choice)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup of cashew pieces (or you could use another nut of your choice) that have been soaked in almond milk and blended
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
Right, now that you have all your ingredients, here is what you need to do:
- 1. Pop the rice into a bowl and boil enough water to cover it up. Allow the rice to soak in the water for a couple of hours.
- 2. Sieve the rice and put it into a pot. Add the almond milk. Allow this blend to heat on the stove. When the almond milk begins boiling, decrease the heat a bit and allow it to cool down.
- 3. Continue stirring it for about ten minutes so that it doesn’t thicken too much.
- 4. Add the delicious pumpkin, sugar and vanilla to the mixture. Again, continue stirring it well.
- 5. When the milk has vaporized, add the nut cream to replace it.
- 6. Transfer the pudding into a bowl and cover it to allow it to cool down before digging in.
- 7. When serving it to hungry guests, scoop the pudding into bowls and garnish it with sugar or shavings of nuts.
Quicken the recipe time by soaking the rice in hot water and blending the cashews to make the cream beforehand.
- Other tips:
You could substitute pumpkin for butternut or sweet potatoes if you like! As an extra delicious garnish, crumble ginger nuts on top. This looks delicious and adds an extra kick of flavor.
*Image courtesy Photopin