Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Just like most other people, I love a good steaming bowl of soup in this chilly dismal winter weather. There are few things more warming and cheering! A bowl of soup can be quite a filling and substantial meal in itself if it is served with croutons and bread. I enjoy making my own soups, and so I whipped up this little number recently, from some ingredients I had in the fridge. I am a great fan of spinach, so that the basis of this dish, with some other flavoursome bits. Even better than an ordinary soup is a creamy one, so I added some vegan cream cheese to this one, and it was a winner! The cheesy flavour complements the spinach really well, and gives it that lovely creamy mouthfeel, which is extra-comforting. I used vegan cream cheese with garlic and herbs but you could use ordinary cream cheese with no extra flavourings, or just soya cream. I also made some croutons to go with it, which make it more substantial, as described below. A simple but satisfying winter dish, I think you will agree, if you try it!
Ingredients (Serves 2)
- 2 cups of fresh chopped spinach, or frozen thawed spinach
- 1 white onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 pint of vegan Bouillon or vegetable stock/broth
- 1 tsp of chopped fresh thyme
- 1-2 tablespoons of vegan cream cheese with garlic and herbs
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 slices of stale bread for croutons
1) Heat 1 tbsp of olive oil gently in a large saucepan, then add the diced onion and fry over a low to medium heat until soft and translucent.
2) Add the crushed garlic and continue frying over a medium heat for 1-2 minutes.
3) Make up Bouillon or vegetable stock to around 1 pint with boiling water in a jug, then add to the onions and garlic, bring back to the boil, then simmer.
4) Add the chopped spinach, and cook over a low heat for around 20 minutes, until well softened and blended in. Season with salt and pepper.
5) While soup is cooking, cut bread into small cubes, place on a baking tray, drizzle over remaining olive oil and a little salt, and bake in the oven at 200º C for around 10-15 minutes, until crisp and golden, turning once.
6) Just before serving the soup, stir in 1-2 tbsp of cream cheese, and mix in, and scatter the croutons on top, when they are done, and serve in bowls with some bread or crackers.
Enjoy! Your votes and comments are much appreciated.
Picture courtesy of www.bbcgoodfood.co.uk