Prep Time: 5
Cook Time: 10
Busy summer days call for quick, easy-to-prep foods and sauces. Pesto is a versatile go-to that's great as an addition to soup, awesome when used to garnish a salad, or just as a sandwich spread-- not to mention it's obvious implications on pasta and pizza. This recipe also includes mint, (which can be completely left out if you want a more traditional vibe), giving it a cool taste that's perfect for the summer heat. This pesto takes around 15 minutes to create, and all you need equipment-wise is a food processor or blender. The following ingredients yield around one cup of pesto.
As a bonus, you can also use this recipe to make pesto butter! Yup. Just add 3/4 cup of mashed avocado and mix it with the ingredients below, after you've followed the original recipe. Serve this amazingly creamy vegan spread along with slices of bread, or as a dip for veggies and your favorite chips.
- 2 cups basil
- 1/2 cup pine nuts [can be substituted for walnuts, pecans, or almonds]
- 1/3 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/3 cup mint
- 1/3 cup olive oil [can be substituted for vegetable or canola oil, but olive is best]
- 1-2 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3/4 teaspoon salt [optional]
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper [optional]
Other Optional Ingredients:
- 1/4 cup vegan cheese [shredded or in the form of vegan Parmesan sprinkle] 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 3/4 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon rosemary
- Chop up the garlic into small pieces. Depending on your food processor, it may help to pre-chop the pine nuts as well.
- Combine the basil, mint, and nutritional yeast into a food processor. Include any optional ingredients like cheese or onions. Blend until well combined.
- Continue to blend while adding the pine nuts and chopped garlic.
- Stop periodically to pour in the olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper.
- Adjust seasonings to taste. Add optional seasonings like rosemary or oregano if preferred.
- Store in a container to chill, freeze, or serve as is.