It's not always easy to feel full and satisfied after a meal, even if it's healthy. In fact, sometimes the unhealthiest foods make you feel fuller - what's up with that? It comes down to taste, texture, and giving your taste buds something out of the ordinary to keep things interesting. So, before you reach into the biscuit cabinet, try these additional ingredients on for size.
- Add nuts. Not only delicious and filling, nuts give a crunchy element to your meal. Rice or couscous can be boring but when you've thrown in some tasty nuts, it's a whole new ballgame.
- Add breadcrumbs. Bread is always satisfying but you don't have to snack on rolls, especially if you're trying to cut down on your carbs. Rather make use of breadcrumbs that you can mix with spices and then sprinkle over veggies before baking them.
- Add beans to your pasta dishes. This is an easy way to get your protein fix which will make you feel fuller for longer.
- Add herbs and spices. Forget relying on a drizzle of pepper over your meals - you need to make your meals much tastier to ensure that they will satisfy you. Throw in some interesting spices, such as paprika or cumin, to the mix. While you're at it, pick some healthy herbs from the garden: mint, rocket and basil are some examples that will make your meals taste and smell so much more appealing.
- Add some texture. Some foods with great texture that are also filling include mushrooms, creamy potatoes, roasted almonds and crispy watermelon, but there are loads more with which to get creative! When foods have texture, they not only taste good but feel good when you eat them. This definitely makes you feel more satisfied and excites your taste buds, too!