Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
This is a delicious vegan risoni which is a hearty and filling meal for lunch or dinner. This is a fantastic lunch the day after you make it - the flavours will continue to develop. It makes a change from a vegan soup or pasta dish, which is great if you are always looking for variety. You can get gluten free risoni also if you eat gluten free. This is a dairy free, sugar free and cruelty free recipe that will leave you feeling satisfied. It's a quick meal and a great one for the family mid-week. Not a lot of preparation time!
- 1 brown onion (diced)
- 1/2 cup risoni
- 1/2 cup yellow split peas
- 1/2 cup pearl barley
- 1/2 cup red lentils
- 1 head of broccoli (broken into florets)
- 1 large carrot (diced)
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- salt and pepper to taste
- fresh flat leaf parsley to garnish
WHAT DO I DO NOW?
- Rinse off the pearl barley, red lentils and yellow split peas and pick out any grit or bits that don't belong.
- Fry your onion in a little olive oil, add the rest of the ingredients and fry for about 5 minutes.
- Add the vegetable stock – bring to the boil for a minute or two and then reduce the heat to low and simmer until the risoni is cooked.
- If it looks too thick you can just add a little water and stir to combine.
- Drizzle with olive oil and garnish with fresh parsley.
ANYTHING ELSE I SHOULD KNOW?
You could add zucchini or sweet potato, pumpkin or any other vegetable you like to this – use whatever you have in the fridge. This is a simple, tasty, filling meal that you could also have as a side dish.
You can also soak your lentils, pearl barley and split peas before hand. This will reduce the cooking time a little.