Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
You really don’t need dairy in a banana bread recipe to make it moist and delicious. Try this vegan option the next time you feel like a bit of a treat. The bonus of this recipe is that you can alter many of the ingredients to your taste, so it never has to feel like the same dessert!
What You’ll Need:
- 4 bananas - make sure they are as ripe as possible
- 1 cup dairy-free milk, depending on what you like (it could be almond nut milk or soy milk, for instance)
- 2 cups whole wheat flour (if you’re gluten intolerant, a flour that has no wheat or gluten will work just as well)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup of cranberries (you could use a variety of ingredients here, such as berries, dates, nuts or a blend of a few ingredients)
- 2 mixing bowls
- 1. Make sure you preheat your oven to 180 degrees while you make the bread.
- 2. Add the lemon juice and dairy-free milk of your choice together so that it can curdle.
- 3. Mash your bananas, then add them to the milk and lemon. Stir it well.
- 4. Taking a separate bowl, mix the baking soda, salt, baking powder, cinnamon, cranberries and flour.
- 5. Take the above ingredients and add them to the bowl with the bananas, milk and lemon. Stir them well. It’s already looking delicious!
- 6. Place a layer of tinfoil on the base of the baking tray, then scoop the mixture onto this foil. This is a good way to prevent the mixture from sticking to the tray and it helps you remove the bread easily after it has baked.
- 7. Pop the bread mixture into the oven and bake for approximately an hour.
*Image courtesy Flickr creative commons.