Protein powder is most often used while making smoothies which are a great post-workout snack or a healthy breakfast. However, the protein powder found in many the stores often contains artificial flavorings and other weird additives. Never fear. You can actually create your own tasty vegan protein powder that is economical and much less processed.
1. A High Protein Base
All of the following ingredients have 8-16 grams of protein per serving. Select any one of the following ingredients:
- 2 tbsp. chia seeds
- ¼ cup of hemp protein powder or 3 tbsp. of hemp seeds
- ¼ cup of sprouted brown rice powder
- ¼ cup of pumpkin seed protein powder
- 1/3 cup of pea protein powder
The following ingredients can also be added to increase the protein content. They also have extra amino acids, important for any diet.
- 4 grams of spirulina per teaspoon
- 10 grams of cocoa powder per ounce
- 5 grams of maca per 2 tbsp.
- 5 grams of oats per 1/3 cup rolled
- 7 grams of almonds, per ¼ cup
- 5 grams of quinoa flakes, per ¼ cup
- 6 grams of coconut flour, per ¼ cup
- 7 grams of sunflower seeds, per ¼ cup
Following are some super foods that can be used to add flavor and nutrition. Some of these are repeated from above, but do not use it if you've already added them in.
- ½tsp. of raw vanilla bean powder
- 1 tsp. of maca powder (it has caramel-like flavor)
- 1 tbsp. cocoa powder
- 1 tsp. lucuma (adds maple and vanilla flavor)
- 1 tsp. acai powder (for extra nutrition and a chocolate berry taste)
- 1 tsp. goji (for extra nutrition and a tart taste)
- ¼ tsp. cinnamon
- ¼ tsp. ginger
- 1 tsp. stevia powder
4. How to:
It’s very simple. You just need to mix them. For example, mix hemp protein powder with your favorite add-ons and flavors of your choice, and store the mixture in a jar in a refrigerator. Customize your powder by using different ingredients, add-ons and flavors, and come up with endless new flavors of protein powder, so that you never get bored.
How to use your protein powder?
- Oatmeal: Oatmeal is a powerhouse food, but adding a little bit of protein will make your breakfast more nutritious. A scoop of vanilla protein powder with a scoop of pumpkin puree and cinnamon in oatmeal can be amazing (and make you feel that way too).
- Peanut butter balls: Make yourself a healthy treat by mixing natural peanut butter, oats, and your homemade protein powder of your choice in a bowl. Once the batter is thick and sticky, you need to roll it into bite-size balls.
- Protein Pudding: To prepare, put a scoop of homemade chocolate protein powder in a bowl with 1 tbsp. of natural peanut butter and add some water. Mix until your healthy chocolate pudding is ready.
- Cinnamon Protein Apples: Slice the apples and place them in a plastic bag. Add 1 tsp. of cinnamon and 1 scoop of homemade vanilla protein powder. Shake the bag vigorously, and then serve.
- Cereal: Mix 1 scoop of homemade protein powder of your choice and 2 tsp. of milk together. Pour the mixture in a bowl of cereal and have a healthy breakfast.
Tips for success
- Get creative by adding various flavors and try out different vegan protein powders to see which one you like.
- Use flavored options while cooking protein bars, as they will taste better than plain options like regular hemp protein or regular rice protein
- You will need containers and jars to store your protein powder.
Be creative! But most of all, enjoy!