Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 7-8 hours
The television weather reporters are all reporting frigid temperatures for the next few days. This is the perfect time for Crockpot Tropical Coconut Red Beans and Rice to warm the body after a long day at work or school. Prepare the dish in the morning before leaving for work and forget until dinner time. The tropical flavors will remind the family of that beach trip during the summer and the promise of warmer weather in a few months.
- 2 Cups of Dried Red Beans
- 4 Cups of Vegetable Broth
- 1 Medium Onion
- 1 Clove of Garlic
- 1 Tsp Red Pepper Flakes
- 1 14.5 Ounce Can Coconut Milk
- 2 Cups of Long Grain Basmati White Rice
- 1 Pinch of Salt
- Wash 2 cups of dried red beans with strainer. Remove beans that do not look good and discard.
- Place beans in crockpot.
- Add 4 cups of vegetable broth to crockpot.
- Remove the outer skin of one medium onion.
- Finely chop onion and place in crockpot.
- Utilizing the side of a large knife, smash one garlic clove.
- Remove the outer skin of the garlic clove and place the clove in crockpot.
- Add 1 teaspoon of red pepper flakes. If there are young children in family, add less red pepper flakes.
- Shake coconut milk before opening. Open with can opener and pour into crockpot.
- Stir in two cups of uncooked long grain basmati rice.
- Add one pinch of salt.
- Turn crockpot on high for one hour, then turn crockpot on low for remaining 7-8 hours. Beans, onion and rice should be tender when ready to serve.
Lime juice may be added before serving. Cut fresh limes in half. Dip Crockpot Tropical Coconut Red Beans and Basmati Rice in serving bowls and squeeze lime juice on top of individual bowl.
*Photo courtesy Flickr Creative Commons.