Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Colorful vegan cupcakes are fun and tasty. They are also very simple to make and are very practical when it comes to serving them after meals or as snacks! And these can be tainted the color you wish. It’s easy – just try it!
- 3 1/3 cups of flour
- 3/4 cup of soft vegan margarine
- 2 1/4 cups of sugar
- Egg replacement equal to 3 eggs (chia seeds soaked in water, apple sauce, avocado, ground flax seeds, or any other replacement you can think of)
- 6 tablespoons of food coloring (preferably natural, like juice)
- 3 tablespoons of cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of natural vanilla extract
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 1/2 cups of milk alternative (soy, almond, etc.)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of vinegar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons of baking soda
- 6 tablespoons of flour
- 2 cups of milk alternative
- 2 cups of soft vegan margarine at room temperature
- 2 cups of sugar
- 2 teaspoons of natural vanilla extract
- Preheat oven at 350 F. Place the paper molds in the muffin sheet.
- In a blender, cut the margarine into pieces and pour in the sugar. Beat at medium speed for approximately 7 minutes, until the mixture is light and creamy.
- Add the egg replacement and beat well.
- In a bowl, mix the cocoa, the vanilla and the food coloring. Mix well before pouring with the other mixture and beat everything together.
- Start slowing adding, alternately, the milk alternative and the flour. Beat well until the mixture is smooth.
- In a tall bowl, mix the vinegar and the baking soda – but be careful, this causes a chemical reaction!
- Then, add this to the previous mixture and blend well.
- Pour the final mixture into the muffin sheet and bake for 30 to 40 minutes.
While the cupcakes cool down, prepare the icing:
- Mix the milk alternative and the flour in a pan with a whip until no lumps are left and heat at medium while stirring continuously for about 10 minutes.
- Let cool for 30 minutes.
- In a blender, beat the margarine for 3 minutes until creamy. Slowly incorporate the sugar while beating for 3 minutes. Add the vanilla.
- Add the milk and flour mix in the bowl and beat for another 5 minutes, until the mixture becomes creamy and airy.
- Refrigerate for precisely 15 minutes (no more, no less!) then spread on the cupcakes.
These are absolutely divine! (Check out the great video below, on how to create your own natural food coloring!)
Photo credit: flickr.com